Recent events in the world have demonstrated that the need of deeper automation in all areas of our lives in biger than ever. New challenges become a new driving force of innovation, setting new trends for the next decades. The participation of automated solutions in our private and professional lives has already led to cultural and social changes, and the pace of change will be even greater in the future. How can entrepreneurs take advantage of this trend and make their solutions smarter? The answer is to create applications that limit and eliminate the human service role. The systems are supposed to learn and configure on their own which means the presence of artificial intelligence at all levels, from data generation, to data transmission and collection. The fulfilment of such needs can only take place on a platform with a sufficient level of computing power as well as hardware and programming flexibility. Such device is the All-in-One SOM by Masters.
Smart Decade – a necessity of the coming Times
Nowadays, we more often ask ourselves the question about the future of broadly understood IoT in the next decade. All devices with a set of sensors and the ability to control, connected to the Internet and managed from the level of the IT system comply with today’s IoT criteria. When analyzing solutions, it is easy to notice that both in the past and now they consist of the same elements: sensors, executive & communication part and data processing systems.
The change was made in the necessity to ensure an appropriate level of integration, remote management and control on an unprecedented scale. Such systems are characterized by access and operation of devices without direct operator involvement and the ability to communicate with other systems.
A breakthrough in data openness, regulation and standardization is also expected to enable secure integration and data exchange between different systems. The goal is to achieve communication not only at the central level, but also at the level of gigging and data generation in end devices.
An observer familiar with the history of IoT will admit that these are the assumptions that guided the idea of IoT from the very beginning. As a result, expectations set yesterday require a new approach in designing integrated systems of tomorrow:
- High computing power – huge amounts of data in today’s devices have led to the development of areas related to processing, analysis and prediction, including the development of artificial intelligence algorithms. Currently, analytic processes become more dispersed. Advanced systems are expected to provide data analysis and prediction directly at the device level. The device should have the ability to self-calibrate and the possibility of partial repair, eliminating the most serious causes of downtime.
- Possibility of communication i – communication with external systems via the Internet is already a standard, both with the use of a permanent link and wireless communication in the licensed bands of the mobile network. Modern devices communicate with peripheral systems dispersed in close proximity with limitations, e.g. due to the nature of battery power. This necessitates communication with the use of communication techniques with low power consumption.
- Flexibility – thanks to the transfer of software change management from the hardware layer to the application layer. We get a new dimension of change management. We are not able to predict the reconfiguration needs, and only thanks to this approach we can maintain the full functionality of our device over a very long time unit. Remote modification has become not only a method to ensure low maintenance costs by eliminating physical services. Most importantly, it becomes a necessity and one of the main criteria for solutions.
SoM – universal chip for smart devices
Recent years have brought a huge expansion of microprocessors and systems in the SoM (System on Module) topology. This devices became a central unit and the most important component that performs the basic functions of the most demanding applications in the “Hi-Tech” area.
In an increasing number of electronic solutions, the microcontroller alone is no longer sufficient. It’s not just about performance issues, but mostly software limitations. There are many reasons for using SoM solutions:
- they ensure centralization of the most important functions (computing and communication unit) in one replaceable component,
- they eliminate the need to design a highly specialized system, which is very demanding in design and production,
- provide a package of appropriate software in the form of an operating system and drivers.
The electronics market in recent years has resulted in the development of systems that are so specialized that their own development becomes simply too time-consuming and unprofitable. It means involving not only a lot of money, but also resources and time.
All-in-One SoM Masters – the perfect solution for IoT producers
The SoM Masters line based on the ST Microelectronics STM32MP1xx system is a response to the market needs by providing a highly specialized central unit with high integration of the most important components.
The uniqueness of the solution consists in placing communication systems in one module ensuring communication both in the licensed and non-licensed band.
The All-in-One SoM Masters is based on the new STM32MP157 processor from ST equipped with Dual Arm® Cortex®-A7 up to 800 MHz and Cortex®-M4 209 MHz in SODIMM size (67.6 mm x 45.0 mm). The module offers very high real-time performance, low energy consumption and a unique range of on-board communication modules, ideally suited to the needs of demanding applications in industrial equipment control systems.
It enables the implementation of the most advanced solutions to meet the expectations of today’s times.
Lower the cost of producing an IoT device
The use of SoM in the client’s system does not only involve the use of hardware. It is the application of an entire ecosystem, which also includes the operating system, drivers and demonstration software.
Integration in the field of communication is also expected through the implementation of solutions related to dedicated tariff plans, apart from communication modules.
Effective design of advanced electronics requires from the designer to quickly deliver not only a working prototype. In particular it means the ability to transfer and adapt the most important component directly to the target system.
SoM by Masters meets all of the above criteria. The developed prototype on an evaluation board with a central unit in the form of a SoM, after designing the peripherals that do not cause any major problems, requires only physical transfer to the target system. As a result, the customer receives a solution that is developed and maintained in a long time in a simple way from the application layer.
Do you want to quickly create a prototype of your own IoT application “Hi Tech”?
Contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone +48 502 825 627 directly with our Head of R&D – Jerzy Kozieł.